Tuesday, January 29, 2013

SP5595ish - limping towards the 100 barrier

I was away in France last weekend, and the preceding week was busy at work and snowy so nothing doing square-wise. On the way home on Sunday evening I drove up the lane through the square and the headlights caught a brilliant Barn Owl perched on top of a hedge - no doubt one of the birds I've been watching just outside my square and hoping one would drift in whilst hunting. Over the weekend whilst I was away, the snow has thoroughly thawed and the garden has gone from frozen wasteland to flooded wasteland. I spent a few minutes in it late this afternoon poking around under my moth-trap slab - which produced two snails, a slug and a noctuid larva. I expect to spend a bit more time on this square challenge during Feb .......

Taxon Vernacular Date Added
99 Noctua pronuba Large Yellow Underwing (larval) 29/01/2013
98 Helix aspersa Garden Snail 29/01/2013
97 Tandonia budapestensis Budapest Slug 29/01/2013
96 Oxychilus navarricus Glossy Glass Snail 29/01/2013
95 Tyto alba Barn Owl 27/01/2013

Glossy Glass Snail

2 comments:

  1. Good work - thanks for snail photo, very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really do look translucent when the snail is out if the shell and you get the light behind it.

    ReplyDelete